Sunday, March 6, 2016

6 March 2016 - It's beginning to look like Spring!!!

   A beautiful week, weather-wise has just finished. Today is rain but the last few days have been beautiful for Washington. It really looks like spring is finally here. Of course, I spent time in the yard, front and back trying to get the weeds down and some of the plants to grow. Hopefully we are done with freezing weather but the ground needs to warm up to put in seeds, other than peas and cool weather plants. I did happen to buy some broccoli, chard, spinach, collards, and cabbage to transplant. I also bought some variegated sage and mint which are already in. It’s fun to plant and see things grow.

Bleeding heart in the front yard.

The hydrangea starting to come back. 

   Last Sunday night, after Samuel and I came home from the Bohlin’s home where we had a lovely dinner and visited with Mike & Cathy and Ken & Abby along with Becky Jo & Ryan.  We made it back in time to work on my Seminary lesson and dinner before Stephen had to go back for meetings.
Madelyn Blair Bohlin



Proud Parents Ryan and Becky Jo Bohlin.
   Monday, Stephen went back to the temple where he does some volunteer work helping during the annual maintenance in the spring. He worked on putting steel strips on the posts at the veil so they could attach cards for the ordinance workers. He also worked in the laundry room putting on transition rubber between the carpet and the hard flooring. He really enjoys working at the temple. I love looking at the temple grounds and seeing all the new plants they have. Stephen asked the gardener how the daffodils are already up and he said it was a special variety that comes up early. Not the kind I planted… L
  Monday, I felt impressed to call Sheryl Sprague to see how she was doing. We talked on the phone for 45 minutes and when she expressed a need for help cleaning out some cupboards, I told her I would be right over. She was surprised but it was nice to spend some time with her and helping her with some things that were too difficult for her to do by herself quickly.
   I taught Seminary every day this week except Wednesday when we had late start. It was a nice break in the middle of the week. I also was told that I have a new teaching partner, Becky LeDosquet. She seems really nice and excited about getting into Seminary. I’m looking forward to teaching with her.
  Tuesday after Seminary, I picked up Kaprice Baranet and took her to her doctor’s appointment. She broke her wrist in at least 2 places and may need surgery. I was glad to help and be there for her at the hospital where she went to get x-rays.
   Wednesday was late start and Stephen took Samuel to school. I debated on going to work at the hospital but I had an appointment with a nurse practitioner in Federal Way so I couldn’t really go to work and get off for my appointment. It’s been hard picking up shifts at the hospital and I’m not sure that I really am supposed to work outside the home at this time. Both Stephen and I are trying to make the best decisions for the future. It will be interesting to see what the Lord has planned for us.
We finished up the front yard, taking out the
grass and going to put in a shade garden.
   Thursday, Stephen and I went to BECU to sign papers for another home equity loan. The original one was paid off but also ran out of time. The amount was much less than last time but we don’t really have many needs so it will do. Also, Samuel went to the State Girls’ Basketball Tournament in Tacoma with the KL pep band. The girls played a 9:00 game so he had to leave Seminary early along with Amy and Ben Mitchell. We lost so they played again at the same time on Friday and we lost that one too. At least the made state play-offs. That’s an accomplishment right there.
   I've been changing my eating style for better health. I'm going pretty much vegan which is not very easy but it is essential for my health. Thursday night I made a minestrone soup with all vegetables and no meat for the RS dinner that we had to celebrate the birthday of Relief Society. It was darn good, I thought. I also had to give a 3 minute "talk" about a RS sister who made a difference in my life. I didn't realize it was a "talk" I thought it was just a comment so I didn't prepare anything. I did think about it though and consider who and what I should speak on. I was surprised when they said that I was "the program" for the dinner along with Sr. Margaret Smith. I was first so I just spoke about RS experiences that I have had and how many sisters helped me. Sr. Smith did about the same. It was good.
   Friday, Stephen and I had a dinner at the church put on by the Stake Seminary leaders. They showed a video of Elder Ballard's talk to the CES leaders and teachers. It was very good but it's hard to stay awake in a dark room, after a meal when you get up very early in the morning.
Daffodils are up at the temple. These were a gift
left over from our Seminary meeting and dinner
with Elder Ballard's CES talk on video.
    Saturday, Stephen had a speaking assignment for the “Zone Leaders” of Camp Helaman in Auburn at 9:00 in the morning. He was to speak for 30 minutes and took 35. I’ll ask Parker Welch how he did when I see him at Seminary. While he was gone, I worked in the yard and then I got cleaned up and dressed for a funeral for Mitchell Parker at 11:00. We drove to Federal Way and got there at 11:00 and no one was there. Just a few cars. Turns out the family luncheon was at 11 and the funeral was at 1:00. We drove back home, stopping at Coastal Farm and Reber Ranch to check on chicks for sale. They had some but not the kind we wanted yet. The white leg-horns will be coming in later this month.
   I went back to the funeral but Stephen ended up staying home, working on some chores until he needed to take Samuel to the Tacoma Dome where they watched Kentwood Boys’ team play their final game against Federal Way for the State Championship. KW lost but it was close. FW has 3 boys that are 6’10” or so and that made the difference. We have one boy in the ward that plays for KW, Kobe Huerta. Samuel was glad to support him.
   Stephen and I went to the temple Saturday night. After the session he showed me all the things that he had worked on during the maintenance session. He would love to work there. We’ll have to see what the Lord has in mind for us. That night while getting ready for bed, Stephen checked FB and saw that one of his missionary companions, actually the AP during the time he worked in the mission office had passed away. Dan Anderson was younger than Stephen. He died of H1N1 flu which means he didn’t get the vaccination. It was sad to see the news and realize that we are so much closer to the end of our lives than the beginning. I hope that all of my family takes the time to say “I love you” and develop those lasting relationships while we are still here in mortality. It will make a “world of difference” in this life.
Kale chips and butternut squash seed treats. Both were yummy.

Lunch salad. Not bad when you're hungry.







No comments:

Post a Comment