Friday, September 18, 2009

Ralph House Debt Reduction

This week Dad and I worked though our finances and mapped out a debt reduction plan to help us get out of debt and became financially independent. We planned a budget and then mapped out the major debts and how we could pay them off in a "snowball" fashion. Our plan is similar to the Dave Ramsey "Total Money Makeover" plan but I mapped it out on a visual chart so that we could "x" out the debt as we paid it off. For me it a major reminder to stay on task.
Another recommendation is to plan ahead for weekly expenses. I know that I like to "shop" and I usually come away with much more than is on my list. My goal is to map out the store and clip coupons and only purchase what I plan to purchase - the needs. I have found that it is the woman that controls the finances more so than the man in the household purchases. Any major purchases costing over $100 should be discussed together and both should agree on the expenditure.
Moderation in consumption is the key to wealth attainment. Live below your means and save and invest what you can. Millionaires are usually "cheap dates" because they don't need to spend money to enjoy themselves. Find activities that are free and enjoy yourselves knowing that you are saving money and developing your relationships which is the most important thing that you can do in this life.
Relationships are more important than "things" but wealth can allow you to have more time to develop those relationships. Have FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment